Thursday, June 26, 2008

Nearing the End


I am nearing the end of a set of restrictions I had put on myself for the drawings I have been making. Those being the limited use of materials. I have been inadvertently collecting pencils, pens, markers, and hi-lighters while I was in college. After finishing school and emptying out my former studio, I had discovered an unusually large stockpile of these materials. Still not knowing what to do with them, I carried them with me to New York and it was here where I finally decided to put them to use. I decided to remain working with these specific materials that I had collected until they had been exhausted. 
As I was in a new time in my life, my former work no longer applied to the situation I was in. Not knowing where to begin and not being able to produce the work I was accustomed to I took the quote of William Stafford as a starting point, "A writer is not so much someone who has something to say as he is someone who has found a process that will bring about new things he would not have thought of if he had not started to say them." 
So, I started to speak with the materials I had and came to an unexpected area with my art. With the materials running low, I am preparing for the next movement. 

2 comments:

Tiny Circus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Greta Songe said...

Nice drawing jonas. I really like the top one on this post.